CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 6, 2008

What's a gal to do?

I was over a Junkfood Science the other day, catching up on some of my blog reading. Sandy had few posts that I had missed earlier.


The first two ask the question, Do Diets Work? The answer is a resounding NO. The third goes into detail about how Americans as a whole are actually more active now than in the past.

In reading these and going back to read my own post about the failure of exercise to help you lose weight. I wonder what people are suppose to do to actually lose weight and keep it off.

I'm the queen of diets, have been on everything under the sun. I dieted myself right up to nearly 400 pounds. I have always been an active person, even lugging around those nearly 400 pounds.

So why couldn't I lose weight? Why did it take me having WLS to finally be able to shed those pounds? We all know regain is possible even after WLS.

Shedding the weight is easy. There are any number of weight loss products and diets to help with that. Even that stupid vLCD developed by Heidi Diaz, known as the Kimkins Diet, works to help you lose weight. Eating less food than a person in a concentration camp kinda has that effect on you. But you'll regain and more along with it. In one of Sandy's posts above she talks of a follow-up done on a vLCD. Of all the people in the study, only 25 actually stuck with it. Then all of those had regained their weight within two years.

Diets don't work. Exercise doesn't work. Even bariatric surgery doesn't work. Then you have that whole "obesity paradox" thing going on. You can read about that here:



Now what?? Just what IS a gal to do?

How about, first, just accepting who you are. Then for your health's sake, change the way you eat. Give up all that processed food. The less steps a food has to go through before it reaches your table the better. As for veggies, buy local first and foremost. Also, when it comes to veggies, if you can't eat it raw, don't eat it cooked. Just a hint--potatoes are poisonous if eaten raw. The old saying about shopping on the outer aisles of the stores doesn't quite ring true anymore. Most stores now have their bakery and deli on the outer edges. Yet the veggies, meat and dairy are there also.

As for exercise, do it for the feel good hormones. And no, you don't have to run out and buy an expensive gym membership or even a slew of exercise videos or exercise equipment. How about just cranking up the music and dancing with your kids. Get outside and run with your favorite furbaby.

Will I be successful at my weight loss this go round? Who knows? All I know is I eat differently now than ever before. Plus I don't even think about it. It just is.


I'm not on a diet. I'm LIVING.

4 comments:

Barbara B said...

Wow, great job. My favorite: when it comes to veggies, if you can't eat it raw, don't eat it cooked.

As far as Kimkins is concerned, who in their right mind would pay 79.95 to starve? If anybody would, I have a few bridges for sale.

Barbara B

Anonymous said...

If insanity consists of doing the same thing over and expecting different results, then you are on the road to good mental health because you have changed your way of living. May your journey go well, and give you great body results as well.

OhYeahBabe said...

Oh but that first step is a doozie! It's realy hard to accept myself for what I am. I don't see myself the same way others do at all. It's so hard to stop trashing yourself.
OYB

Considering the Kimkins diet? Read this first: Kimkins Diet Scam Update.

2big said...

thanks for posting. it is a lifestyle change nor a morgage your future health for fast weight loss as sold on Kimkins.com by Kimmer